charles d. hill
Born in 1903 in Pickaway County, Ohio, Charles Hill began his harness career in 1950 when he assumed the reins of the Columbus Trotting Association, racing at Hilliard Raceway. It did not take long for Hill to recognize the need for a centrally located track in Ohio. His dream came true on October 9, 1959 when Scioto Downs, "Ohio's Showplace of Racing," opened. His vision for Scioto set a new quality standard for racetracks anywhere in North America that today serves as the model for many contemporary racetracks. Hill served as president of Scioto Downs from its inception in 1959 until the 1989 season when he became Chairman of the Board. Hill was an accomplished Standardbred farm owner. Hill Farm, located in Hilliard, Ohio ranks as one of the largest Standardbred farms in the state. As a Standardbred owner, Hill may be best known for his success with B. F. Coaltown and Falcon Almahurst. Always known for living by the Golden Rule, Hill was one of Ohio's best loved horsemen. He was the recipient of many of harness racing's most prestigious awards. He was voted into the Ohio Harness Racing Hall of Fame and the Ohio Senior Citizens' Hall of Fame; he received the coveted Messenger Award from Harness Tracks of America; and in 1975 was named "Horseman of the Year." In 1978 he won The Horseman Award, voted on by the readers of The Horseman And Fair World magazine. He is a founder and former vice-president of Harness Tracks of America and served as a director of both the Little Brown Jug Society and the Lexington Trots Breeders Association (Red Mile and Tattersalls). Charles Hill died on August 11, 1991.
Published in the Harness Racing Museum's 1995 book, The 1995 Immortals